Monday, July 18, 2011

Cook; From The Bar Band Perspective Of What NOT To Do...

Hey Everyone!

I really liked Ben and Bruce's articles and wanted to chime in a little from the novice level, meaning someone that has played for a really long time, but never got out of the bar scene.

This is my personal perspective only. Now it's no big secret that I don't have a recording contract, multiple albums, or playing in a touring band. The internet doesn't allow for BS-ing these days. I'm getting started a late stage and it's simply because I want to. Some of what I'm about to say deals with Bruce's "magentism" philosophy in his article and my own mistakes "growing up" in the "trials of fire" in rock. If a lot of what I'm about to write is not addressed early on in your music career, Ben's article will never apply.

My first comment would be this; you should know your instrument before even trying to get into a band. I've spent countless years wanting to be in a band so bad, that I would jump at any chance to be in one. Whether they could play or not. If I felt like a friendship was there, I would put the time in only to be disappointed after a few months. So know your instrument, including vocalists. Yes singers, your throat is a musical instrument so treat it as such. If you're starting out, at least memorize the fret board's root notes. When learning covers it will save you TONS of time and get you out rocking a little faster. Sliding up and down the neck to find the note during a practice will be a quick ticket out of any knowledgeable band. So do some studying. It will pay off in a few months.

My second comment would be to pick like minded players similar to you in life first, and THEN musical tastes. That means similar music interests, discuss what your actual goals are before the first practice even starts. Does the band want to do just covers? Do they want originals only? Instrumental? Is there family involved? What personalities as a musician do you like to play with? If the whole band isn't on the same page starting out, then you've just spun your wheels again. The worst part is that you won't find out until it's decision time. So just don't be afraid to talk to each other up front. If one or two members aren't on the same page, can that line up, and keep looking. If they're mature players, they should understand and probably be content not to waste each other's time. That part I've been through and it's actually quite refreshing to deal with honesty and make a friend.

So, let's say you got your line up, the songs are picked, and your ready to go. Now, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!!! I've been in a couple of situations where we didn't practice enough, got out there because we were excited to play live. Yes...we were eaten alive. Trust me on this one; NO ONE likes to be booed or have a bad show. When one band member gets pissed, trust me the show goes down hill pretty fast after that. Watch out for friends that fill the band's ego too. That little red dude with horns on your shoulder can cause a quick head rush and bad decisions.

Now don't get me wrong on the above part. Get out there when you think it's time. Do a back yard party or two with friends and work the bugs out before going to the local venue. There's always bugs in the first few shows, so expect them. Pedals will short, amps can fry, and drum sticks break without replacements. Don't get frustrated, angry, and throw crap. Muscle through it and be a man. Odds are you'll pull it together somewhere in one of the sets. A crowd will be MUCH more receptive to a band that is trying to give a good entertaining show than a band that is seriously intent on perfection. The point is this, eventually you have to get out there and play. So don't wait until everything is perfect. It could be a very long wait.

I was given three valuable lessons over the last 10-15 years of playing bars and 20+ years of trying to rock.

1. This is from my guitar player's father Tom Kemp (RIP), "...people don't want to go hear a musician at a bar. They want to be entertained."

2. This one came from a sound man at an Earth Day Festival and it's one of my favorites, "...SHUT UP AND PLAY!" I LOVE THAT ONE!!...don't know his name but he was a smart dude.

3. This one comes from my interview with Jon Mulvey, "... whatever works man."

I'm going to close with this and it's a lesson that I'm very recently learning. If you do get to a point where you've made a few industry connections, don't over do it. During my RS360 growth, for lack of a better term, I've made mistakes in my haste to "be connected," and came across as over zealous on more than one occasion. Yes, I know that's shocking to a select few, but I have. LOL!!

So here's my advice if the connections start to happen.

SLOW DOWN AND GIVE IT TIME TO GROW. These guys work in rock for a living and there is still an amount of professional courtesy that exists. Don't bombard with e-mails, twitter, and facebook. Social sights can be a fantastic marketing tool for bands with minimal budget, but don't forget to be human once in awhile too. Most rocker's are cool and they'll get back to you when they can. They might be at practice, on the road, in the studio, or enjoying some QT with the family, or getting some deserved rest. Any connection takes time to grow into something else, so be patient. Remember they are people too, and some with families. Keep it in mind that music is a business and yes, even at the bar level.

Later on and pack the house!!!

Cook

No comments: